Reading recommendations from Sensei’s bookshelf.
Ever wanted to know what’s on your instructor’s bookshelf? Look no further!
For ages 12+:
- Hidden Hands by Phillip Starr
- Martial Mechanics by Phillip Starr
- Kata: The Folk Dances of Shotokan by Rob Redmond (link to free pdf: http://www.24fightingchickens.com/kata/)
- How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough
- Instructor Revolution by Kelly Muir
For adults (more serious topics, more difficult writing):
- Survive the Unthinkable: A Total Guide to Women’s Self-Protection by Tim Larkin
- Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller
- The Little Black Book of Violence by Lawrence A. Kane & Kris Wilder
- The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker
- Part 1 of a 4-part article about Shito-ryu & its creator