NWSMA’s summer reading contest kicked off on June 1, so I figured I’d throw out a few recommendations to get y’all started. Obviously, my recommendations will be colored by my own interests (fantasy, Middle East, SE Asia, Japan, history, comics), and I also tried to pick things I’ve read more recently, things with universal appeal, and also things that are pretty squeaky clean in terms of content.
Speaking of content! Parents, if you haven’t heard of it, Common Sense Media is a wonderful site to add to your favorites. It allows you to check out what your kids are reading, watching, and, playing. Each entry rates the piece of media in several categories, including violence, positive messages, role models, and drugs/drinking/smoking.
Another note for our readers: if you’re having trouble finding a book, try the following 6 ideas:
- Read a book that was made into a movie or tv series
- Re-read an old favorite
- Ask a friend (or your kids) for a recommendation
- Read a book that is part of a series
- Browse AT the library (novel concept I know!)
- For adults: read a YA or teen novel
Recs after the jump!