Sempai David doing his form at a tournament.
Grinning with their trophies after a tournament.
Hello, folks! We’re very excited to announce that we have registration & information for the upcoming forms tournament. (Download information and reg form below in .docx format).
- Who’s invited? We encourage all NWSMA students to participate~
- When? Saturday, September 21, 2013.
- Where? TMA – Overlake in Redmond!
- White-advanced green belt divisions start at 10 am. (Blue belts in karate are equivalent to green belts in Tae Kwon Do)
- Blue belts & up start at 11am. (Green belts in karate are equivalent to blue belts in Tae Kwon Do)
- The last event is group synchronized form for all ages/ranks.
- How much? Only $15/student!!
To sign up, complete the registration form and turn it in to Sabumnim Doris before the tournament. Come out to support your school and fellow students!
We have exciting news for you! For the very first time, NW School of Martial Arts’ 2013 Karate Summer Camp is open to anyone ages 6-17!! That means you don’t have to be an NWSMA student to take part in the summer martial arts fun!!
NWSMA students, you know what that means? Bring a friend with you to camp!
A group of NW School of Martial Arts students think hard during a mental challenge.
Camp will take place over the course of 5 days, and each day has a theme. Focusing on one skill a day, such as kicking and grab releases, children will learn the basics of how to defend themselves. Benefits of summer camp include:
- Gaining self-confidence;
- Learning some basic self-defense skills;
- Working with a small group to create a short skit about how to peacefully resolve a bullying situation;
- Making new friends, learning to share & helping others;
- Being active and exercising in a safe, friendly environment;
- Getting creative with crafts and games!
Here’s the what/when/where:
- Karate Summer Camp takes place August 12-16, 2013, Mon-Fri 10:30am-3:00 pm
- The cost is $100/child/week OR $25/child/day
- *Bring-your-own lunch except Friday* (We’ll serve pizza on Friday)
- Located @ Stanwood Mason Hall in downtown Stanwood. We will donate a part of our proceeds to Bikes for Books.
- Camp t-shirts with NWSMA logo will be available for an optional $20.
RESERVE YOUR SPOT ASAP! Contact us at email@example.com, and we’ll email you the registration form and camp program.
Payment will be due in full, cash or check to NWSMA, on the 1st day of camp (August 12). Children will not be allowed to take part if their parent/guardian has not completed & returned the registration form with payment.
These two love summer camp (and winning trophies at tournaments!!)
NW School of Martial Arts, owned by Sensei Doris Eastbury, has been serving Stanwood since 1988 with martial arts & self-defense classes for all ages. Assisting her with camp are certified black belts who regularly instruct & help in our year-round programs.
Hope to see you at 2013 Summer Camp!
Sempai Jasmine doing a combination break.
Saturday, June 8, 2013, NWSMA will be hosting two guest instructors from TMA Overlake to give a board breaking seminar.
- We will still hold regular class.
- Seminar will begin at 12:00 pm.
- Cost is $20 and includes 2 boards. Additional boards will be
a small extra fee $3/board. You must decide ahead of time how many boards you want.
- AGE LIMIT: 8-11 year-olds will only be doing stomp kicks. 12 year-olds will be considered on an individual basis. This is for safety purposes.
- Fill out a sign-up slip in class. One per student. We need this done ahead of time so we can order boards.
**Happy Mother’s Day!**
Martial arts moms, we know it’s not always easy to get the kids to class. We and they appreciate all your hard work!
Yesterday’s women’s self-defense class was a big success! Thanks to all the ladies who showed up, we were able to make a donation to the Mason’s Bikes for Books fund!
We are planning a follow-up self-defense class for this summer. Please make sure we have your email address & we’ll let you know about that one in advance.
Saturday, June 1, 2013: Arnis Tournament at TMA – Pine Lake in Sammamish! If you like playing with sticks, stick fighting, or stick forms, then we highly recommend you take advantage of this opportunity! :P
SBN Doris smiles as GWN B ties her 4th degree black belt.
Doris Eastbury, owner of Northwest School of Martial Arts, received her 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do on Saturday, March 30th, 2013 from True Martial Arts in Overlake. 4th degree black belt is considered the level of mastery in most martial arts styles. Doris is a Stanwood native, and has been training in multiple martial arts since 1986. She credits her continued success in martial arts to indomitable spirit and a desire to continue learning so that she can give back to her students. Northwest School of Martial Arts holds classes at the Stanwood Masonic Hall, and offers affordable self-defense, Karate, and Tae Kwon Do programs for all ages.
Women’s Self-Defense Class: Mother’s Day Discount! $97 value–now only $47! Taught by Doris Eastbury, 4th degree black belt. General information about women’s self defense seminars.
Class will take place Saturday, May 11th at the Stanwood Masonic Center from 11:30 am-1:00 pm. Sign up with a friend and you both will receive an extra 25% off ($35 each)! Participants must be 13 years & up, as we teach children differently than teenagers and adults.
You don’t have to be a martial artist to know how to defend yourself! All participants will receive a safety handout and self-defense stick.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and sign up today! Scroll down for class content.
Class content includes:
- “5 A’s” of self defense
- Walking with confidence: posture & body language tips
- Strong eyes, strong voice
- How to effectively use your voice
- Decision-making: thinking through a self defense situation
- Simple, effective release & escapes from grabs and holds
- Simple, effective strikes using the strongest parts of your body
- Targeting: weak points on the opponent’s body
- Lots of practice
- Plenty of time for questions!
We’ll go over this information, breaking it down into easy-to-remember points (like the 5 A’s and a girl’s best 3 weapons). There will be plenty of opportunities to practice after demonstrating and walking you through each technique. Protecting yourself doesn’t have to be complicated or confusing. NWSMA female black belts will be on hand to assist and answer questions. Our goal is to create a safe and fun environment for you to learn self-defense that may someday save your life.
Photos from the tournament over the weekend! There was plenty of exciting stuff going on, from forms and sparring competition, to demos from all 4 schools, and a friendly school team sparring event.
Arnis seminars with guest instructor Sabumnim C on Saturday, April 13th! The cost is not covered by regular tuition. The price for the seminar is $20/person (cash or checks, please).
We are pleased to announce that we will be welcoming friends from Trinity Martial Arts for this seminar!
There will be two 2-hour seminars, divided by belt rank.
Have you ever wondered what goes on in the advanced class? Thursday’s advanced class students warmed up with a traditional dojo cleaning this week.
No fun going on here. None at all. :P